Top Five Wednesday is a weekly meme created by Lainey @GingerReadsLainey and she has passed down the torch to Sam @ThoughtsOnTomes. For more information and for future topics you can check out the goodreads group.
This week the topic is our favourite non-written novels, which includes graphic novels and manga – I LOVE both! (Well, there are also comics, audiobooks and more but I don’t personally read them soooo I have no favourite when it comes to them.) So I have decided to make my own list this week, or rather a double list (plus it’s been ages since I did a Top Five Wednesday post). I will be listing five of my favourite graphic novels and five of my favourite romance manga. As it was Valentines Day yesterday, I though picking my favourite romance manga would be fitting.
(Plus I have read a ton of manga and picking five favourite manga in general would be impossible.)
Even though I love them, I haven’t read that many graphic novels…I know, I know. I really want to read more buuuuut they are sooo expensive and I don’t have the money. Especially since most of the ones I’m interested in are apart of a series.
(My library doesn’t have them either.) Sad times. Hopefully I’ll be able to read more in the future!
- Saga is actually the first graphic novel that I ever read. And I loved it!
(Obviously.)So far I have read the fist 4 volumes and I have enjoyed all of them. I just find the whole story, world and characters fascinating! I can’t wait to read more from this story.
- Deadly Class is one I didn’t expect to love as much as I did. I honestly have no idea why I thought I wouldn’t like it. I’m sooo happy that I decided to give it a chance and read it! So far I have only read the first volume, but I already love it and I can’t wait to get my hands on the other volumes as well!
- Chew is one of the uniquest stories that I have ever come across. (In any form of media that is.) So far I have read 6 volumes and they were all fantastic! I just find the whole concept of having special abilities centred around food interesting, plus the main character is amazing.
(Which is always wonderful.)
- Nimona is a graphic novel that I got recommended a ton, before I actually picked it up. I was hesitant because it didn’t seem like something I would enjoy – for some reason I thought it would be a cute story
(probably because I only knew the art style), Buuut I was sooo wrong! This story surprised me in the best way possible!
- Through the Woods may be my all time favourite graphic novel. I just love everything about it
(and I may have reread it five times already). I love the art style, how the short stories are creepy and they feel like fairy tales, which I love as well. Basically I love everything about this graphic novel!
As I mentioned in the beginning, I have read waaaay too much manga to be able to pick only five favourites. I have actually read OVER 250 of them (thank you MyAnimeList for helping me keep track) – I was surprised by that high number as well. So you can imagine how hard it would be to pick 5 favourites out of that many. That’s why I decided to pick my five favourite romance manga that have been completed! (And even that was hard.)
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama! is one of the first manga that I read.
(Or that I remember reading, who know anymore.)I have been following it as the chapters were coming out, so there is no way I wouldn’t mention it here. I just love the characters and the relationships in this manga. I should definitely reread parts of it soon, it’s been ages since I read it. (And I mean parts, because this manga is rather long.)
- Yankee-kun to Megane-chan is definitely not the most romantic manga out there, by far. I love the story, the characters and the humour in this manga sooo much! This one is rather long and you need to read quiet a bit before you get to the romantic parts, buuut it’s so worth it. The characters and story are just wonderful!
- Lovely★Complex has one of my all time favourite romances! It’s about a very tall girl and a short boy, which you don’t see very often. Aside from that the two main characters, Risa and Otani, are wonderful on their own as well! (Plus also very cute!) I definitely need to reread this manga some time in the future, it’s been a long time since I read it and I need a cute romance in my life.
- Sora Log is a rather short manga
(especially compared to the ones I just mentioned), but it’s still very good and one of my favourites. I love the main female character from this manga, she is just wonderful! Plus it also has an amazing romance and I just love it. It’s definitely one I would recommend to everyone.
- Seven Days is just wonderful. I love the story, the characters and the relationship as well. Same as the one before, it’s rather short but still amazing. I have reread this manga quiet a few times as well and I love it more each time
(which I didn’t think would be possible). I really wish there was a sequel to this story, I just need more from these two characters!