It’s been a while since I have done a Top Ten Tuesday
(since the beginning of March that is), so I thought it was about time I did another one. Todays topic of “series I don’t plan to finish” particularly intrigued me, so I decided to just do it. I read a lot of series, mostly because fantasy is my favourite genre and those books tend to be in series. Taking that in mind, I do have quite a few series that I started but have no intention of finishing, so this topic is perfect for me!
I will be listing a few short reasons as to why I don’t plan on finishing each series. With that being said, lets get into the series that I don’t plan on finishing!
10. The Titan’s Forest series by Thoraiya Dyer
I really didn’t like the first book in the series.
- the story was confusing,
- I hated the main character
(she was seriously the worst),
- I got very uncomfortable with the amount of sexual thoughts from the main character,
- my review, if you want to know more.
9. The Bronze Horseman series by Paulina Simons
I found the first book to be very problematic and I didn’t enjoy it at all when I read it. Plus I hated both of the main characters. I seriously don’t want to bother with this series, it’s enough that I pushed myself to finish the first book.
(No idea why I did that to myself.)
8. The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
I have read the first three books in this series and really enjoyed them. But I have heard that the later books just get worse and worse and I’m just not really interested in reading more from this series. So I’m just going to stick with enjoying the three that I already read.
7. The Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
I have read the first two books years ago and I remember liking them at the time. I then took a too long break between picking up the third book and basically forgot about everything that happened in the first two. I needed to reread them, but I didn’t feel like it. So instead I decided not to finish this series and looked up spoilers.
6. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
I read the first book a while back and liked it. But I’m just not interested in a series where the books just get worse and worse. I don’t want to waste my time.
5. The Penryn & the End of Days series by Susan Ee
I really didn’t like the first book in this series. I was bothered by many things about it. This is a me problem, not the books, as I have found out that I don’t really like angel stories.
(No idea why, I just don’t.)
4. The Witchlands series by Susan Dennard
I have read the first book in this series a while back and I was very disappointed by it. I expected to love it, but ended up disliking it a lot. The world-building was lacking and I didn’t particularly like the characters. Plus I can’t seem to get into Dennard’s writing in general.
3. Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
I enjoyed this book when I first read it.
(I received it as an ARC.) But after reading other peoples reviews, especially own voices, and finding out how negatively stereotypical it portrayed parts of the Middle East.
- an amazing review by Fadwa @Word Wonders, which you can check out for more details.
2. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
I have read the first book in this series and the prequel novellas. I have mentioned before on my blog that I don’t plan on reading any more Maas books.
- I don’t like the writing style of Sarah J. Maas,
- usually I like assassin stories, but I had many problems with this one,
- I just don’t care about this series enough to invest any more time in it.
1. The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
I have read the first two books in this series and really loved them. But I recently mentioned in my book unhaul that I don’t plan on finishing this series and I’m sticking to that. Why?
- it take me months to finish one book,
- the series is probably never going to be finished,
- I never feel like reading it, when I’m choosing my next book,
- I don’t care enough about it anymore, to invest so much time into it.